Dear River Reach Family,
But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them; 26 and suddenly there came a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison house were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were unfastened.Acts 16:25-26
Trouble and trials often come from the most unexpected places packaged in the least expected forms. Faithful servants of the Lord are not immune to suffering and are often targeted by forms of spiritual opposition. When life gets rough, how will we respond? Anger, impatience, and annoyance, flow naturally from our hearts. Discouragement and depression threaten to imprison our hearts. “I was just trying to serve the Lord!” “I don’t see anything good or productive that can come from this Lord!” But in the midst of suffering, God’s grace is able to sustain us with eternal realities believed and lift our hearts to rejoice in our Lord! Joy in suffering empowers our Gospel witness. In our passage for this Sunday, Paul and Silas hold a personal praise service while locked unjustly in stocks in the most secure part of the Philippian prison. Through their unshaken faith, God shook the prison and the hardened hearts of the jailer and his household.
Sermon: “Earthshaking Joy in Suffering” – Acts 16:16-34
Timothy’s in Training Class starts this Sunday morning!
I am excited about the opportunity to start a class for all boys 4th grade and up this Sunday morning during the Sunday Classes hour. The goal of the class is to prepare and teach our young men to love God and desire to serve God with their lives. The class is patterned after Paul’s desire to train Timothy to be a useful servant of God (Acts 16:1-3). We will be meeting in the kitchen. Please pray that God will develop in our young men a heart to love God, His Word, and serving in Christ with their lives!
- Sunday 1/12 – 9:25am – Adult and Children’s Classes for all ages
- 10:30am – Morning Worship: Songs and Sermon (Children’s Church and nursery available)
- 6:00pm – God Who Hears Discussion on Prayer – Chapter 12: “Believing: The Prayer of Faith”
- Wednesday 1/15 – 6:30pm – Wednesday Evening Bible Study and Prayer Service
- To have wisdom as a church and individuals to bring glory to our Lord in 2020.
- Spiritual growth and strength for each one in our church
- Our nation to repent and turn to God
- Someone that the Lord can use you to lead to Christ
- Someone that the Lord can use you to lead to follow Christ
- Peace in our nation and around the world
- Our missionaries as they serve the Lord around the world
Blessed to be your Pastor!